Saturday, March 22, 2014

Elusive Monkey and Banksy-esque Panda Skull

This morning I finally did it!  I captured a photo of the elusive "monkey holding white lotus flower" a.k.a "Graffiti Monkey" on a shop's roll-down gate on Sukhumvit Road near our condo.  I have been trying to snap a photo of him from taxis and buses every time I pass by, but all of the photos have been blurry, unusable, or just partial images of him.




This morning I woke up early and thought, "Enough is enough."  Not many people are awake before 8:00 a.m. in Bangkok, so my 6:30 a.m. adventure was a bit eerie.  As the light broke through the pre-dawn sky, I snapped a few photos and . . . viola!

If I ever get a chance to interview the artist, I'd like to know about some of the symbolism he used.
I like the monkey's teeth and the fact that the edges look so crisp, even though it is painted on a corrugated door.  Whew!



For a while, a paper pasted panda skull was also just as elusive as the monkey.  If you look closely, it is on the left side corner of the building in the center of the photo.



Then, one day after eating at a noodle shop, there it was.  I've seen small stickers on the back side of street signs that have the same image.  I wonder what it means.


No comments:

Post a Comment