Saturday, October 12, 2013

Happy Birthday to Me!

To celebrate my birthday this year, I thought it would be fun to have a dinner party and form a band to play for my friends and colleagues. (I would have to play drums, of course.)  

The Music Place turned out to be the right choice.  It has a big stage, good food, great service, and they let our band practice some songs before opening hours.


It's easy to find right on Pratcha Utit Road at soi 16 just south of the Mengjai intersection.

Here is the sign they made for me just outside the restaurant.  In Thailand, it is common to use "mister" plus your first name.


The restaurant staff decorated the place very nicely just for my special event.

They have a keyboard and drum set already set up and they just upgraded their sound system.  Our playlist for the night included Hey Jude, Hotel California, Give Me One Reason, Let It Be, Zombie, Hard Day's Night, Mustang Sally, Crazy Little Thing Called Love, and Don't Look Back In Anger.


It's not easy moving to a new country and trying to organize a band in a couple months, but everything worked out just fine.  My band for the night consisted of two musicians from the restaurant, one colleague from work, and a singer who responded to an ad on Craigslist!

I'm drumming so fast you can barely see my hands!


What a great birthday!



1 comment: