Saturday, September 14, 2013

Tortilla Triumph!

As many of you know, it has been quite challenging for me to find corn tortillas in many of the countries we've lived in.  


In Morocco, we never found a place that sold them.  In Shanghai, I tried to have a corn tortilla making kit delivered to me from San Diego, but the masa never made it through customs due to strict agricultural restrictions.  In Singapore, I ended up buying some corn tortillas from a Mexican restaurant called Baja Fresh.  (Yes, the same Baja Fresh we have in California.)

So now that we are in Thailand, another chapter begins on "How to Get Corn Tortillas in a Foreign Country."  Luckily, my principal was aware of my quest and recently found a grocery store that sells locally made corn tortillas.  Here I am with treasure in hand:



Corn tortillas are so rare in these parts that there are people who have made their own masa from scratch!  I considered doing that, but after seeing all the steps, I figured flour tortillas and Doritos were good enough.

1 comment:

  1. Yay for tortillas...I was going to send you some for Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete